Monday, June 20, 2011

International cuisine in a small Iowa town.

I have developed a fondness for international cuisine. There are a couple of problems with that. The first problem is that I live in a small town in Iowa and I might not be able to find the ingredient that's called for. The second is that sometimes it's expensive and I live on a tight budget...Not stifling, but there's not always room for that one ingredient that costs $10 a bottle or more. Saffron I'm talking to you.

I'm lucky though that I have a lot of spices-36 at last count-and most of those are called for in Indian, Thai, etc. I am on the hunt though for marjoram. I don't know why I can't find this spice. Hubby asked why I needed it. Some women buy shoes, I buy spices. On a budget. I do love the Amazon grocery section because I've found a lot of stuff on there I didn't know that I needed. I never thought that I'd need ras el hanout or berbere or even peri peri. I need it though. I don't know what for, but with a number of food sites I'll find one.

Lately I've started baking my own bread for meals. I started with a super simple naan with four ingredients. I jump between knowing how to do it and being afraid to try it because it might not turn out. Tonight I'm supposed to make Manchego Cheese Popovers. I have everything but the eggs to make them and I have to go uptown anyway, because I have to get my late Father's Day present. I keep talking myself into not going up, because I don't know if I want to make them. I know I should make myself do it, because it would be the perfect thing to go with garlic shrimp. Then again, I already have French bread, so I should use it so it doesn't go to waste.

What's a girl to do?

Update: The day I wrote this I found marjoram in my itty bitty town's grocery store. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment